The Society’s Archive & History
The society was founded in 1919 following the Great War and has been continually licensed since then.
This page lists the archive material available.
The Waverley Amateur Radio Society has quite a bit of documentation relating to the pre-WWII period. Part of it was obtained in 1985 when the Department of Communications, made available to us copies of all correspondence between it and the club going back to 1920. Another useful source was the address by the then president, Lionel Walters, to those attending the 21st Annual Re-union Dinner in 1940 (note that some of his facts disagree with the official files). Click on the entries below for some fascinating details of our early history (Use your BACK button to return here).
Some who later became club members were among the 27 licensed radio experimenters in Australia in 1911. They include with Licence number (callsign)
Frank Leverrier (XEN)
Malcolm Perry (XCP)
Ray Allsop (XCA), who later founded the Raycophone radio company
For further information on the early history of radio licensing in Australia prior to 1929 see the comprehensive article by the late Colin Mackinnon VK2DYM.
Use the links below to view our archive material.
- Summary of the first 90 years (Amateur Radio article 2009)
- Enlargement of the 1922 picture above
- Enlargement of the 1922 picture below
- 1920 Licence Application
- 1920 Tx and Rx Specifications
- Obituary of Frank Leverrier, 2BK, a founding member, lawyer and man of many talents.
- 1922 Inspectors Report on the Coogee Incident
- Club QSL cards from 1922 to 2015
- Club Licenses issued from 1920
- Copies of two club magazines from 1935
- Photos of the 1937 club Field Day in the National Park
- Mr Walter’s address at the 21st anniversary dinner in 1940
- Article on the club’s 21st anniversary in Amateur Radio, May 1940. (Courtesy WIA & VK6UU)
- All correspondence between the club and licensing authorities from 1920-1980.
- WIA Certificate of Affiliation c.1985 (affiliated since 1926)
- Obituary for Colin Marks, VK2LV, published in the SMH on 4th Nov 2013.
- The Restructure 1985 (& Newsletters till Nov 1993)