100 Years in 2019
Affiliated with the Wireless Institute of Australia
The Waverley Amateur Radio Society was formed in 1919 in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney and is the oldest, continuously licensed, amateur radio club in Australia. It is a very active club and caters for the hobbies of amateur radio and electronics with a variety of activities.
NOTICE: The Waverley Amateur Radio Society is actively monitoring the evolving nature of the Coronavirus pandemic and will respond to advice from government and NSW Health as to best practice regarding the conduct of meetings and club activities. Subject to evolving NSW Government regulations, we have commenced physical meetings with a limited number of participants. We also implement social distancing rules and provide hand washing and disinfection facilities. Members will receive further information via email.
We are also holding Video Conference meetings, often in conjunction with limited participant physical meetings. Members will get an email link for each meeting.
Those who have traveled within the last 14 days or who have symptoms of flu-like illness should seek medical advice. The NSW Health website provides details as to an appropriate course of action :-https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/
WE ARE STILL SHIPPING OUR KITS:-
The club is also active on Facebook
What are the benefits of being a W.A.R.S Member?
Many Thanks to Spectrum Networks for sponsoring our NBN Internet Connection.
Events: Please note our 2020 Annual Auction usually in July has been canceled. See you next year.
Postponed until 19:30 on Wednesday 16th September… : Lecture by Kerrie Dougherty-past Space Museum Curator and visiting lecturer-International Space University- about 1st Aussie Satellite Oscar 5-By Zoom. Members will get a link by email.
WARS Comes 1st in Australia in the 2019 & 2018 CQ WW DX SSB Contest!
WARS wins 2018 John Moyle Field Day Category (again!)
Thanks to :VK2ALR,VK2EFL,VK2GPL,VK2HDX,VK2HHS,VK2JDH VK2KZ,VK2LJ,VK2LWB,VK2PSF,VK2RH,VK2RF,VK2VE,VK2VEL,VK2VJB.
WARS has been activating the Macquarie Light for the past 15 years during this annual event.
Team VK2BV won the AU Multi-Multi section of CQ WW-DX-SSB in 2017! Congratulations!!!!
Team VK2BV operated in the 2018 John Moyle Field Day and won it’s category AGAIN!
A special guest speaker, Ross Clements, gave a fascinating talk at the April 2018 regular Club Meeting about ” Cracking Germany’s Enigma Code in World War II”, and demonstrated his home built working replica.
Membership Renewals for 2019.
This is just a reminder that Membership renewals for 2019 were due 1st January. If you haven’t renewed yet, please do so via Paypal, direct bank transfer, cheque by post, or cash at a meeting. Annual Subs are $30 , or $20 Concessions.
Bank deposits for subscriptions and other payments can be made to Waverley Amateur Radio Society, Westpac BSB 732-051 Account Number: 71-6694. Please include details on the transfer (eg VK2ZZ subscription) and email (treasurer at vk2bv dot org) with details of your payment. Alternatively, payments can be made to email@example.com via Paypal, with details in the comments field.
Postal address: PO Box 634, Rose Bay NSW 2029
CQ WW SSB – 27th TO 30th October: Members of WARS were operating from the Southern Highlands.
We also received two IARU Worked All Continents Awards
- Lighthouse Day - Our club plans to activate Macquarie Light again this year for the International Lighthouse & Lightship Weekend on Saturday August 22. We’ll be setting up portable in the surrounding grounds with plenty of room for social distancing! Active bands will be most likely 40M and 20M in CW and SSB, running on battery power. Even … Continue reading Lighthouse Day
- Ferry Contest–One more sleep….. - The WARS annual Ferry Contest is on tomorrow. This has meant a period of preparation which has included charging batteries, checking radios, updating programming, printing log sheets, packing backpacks, arranging water and snacks and may other similar tasks. For those new to the event you can inspect some useful hints regarding travel and what to … Continue reading Ferry Contest–One more sleep…..
- Ferry Contest Update - The Ferry Contest will soon be with us on Sunday 8th March 2020 for the fifth incarnation of this unique event. For this year we have introduced a “wildcard” category of contacts where our “pop-up” station will be available throughout the day for contacts with famous seafarers that will score a bonus of 10 points … Continue reading Ferry Contest Update
- Ferry Contest 2020 - Save the date! The date for the 5th edition of the Sydney Harbour Amateur Radio Ferry Contest is set for Sunday 8th March. As usual the contest will operate between 10:00 and 16:00 local time. Further details will be published in the new year with the contest rules and procedures as well as other helpful … Continue reading Ferry Contest 2020
- WARS Special Event: Wed 21st August 2019 7:30 pm - The Waverley Amateur Radio Society has great pleasure in hosting Kerrie Dougherty who will present: The Dish was not the whole Story: Australia’s Role in the Apollo Lunar program The Dish is a delightful Aussie film about Australia’s role in the Apollo 11 lunar landing. However, while it’s “based on a true story”, we have … Continue reading WARS Special Event: Wed 21st August 2019 7:30 pm
- WARS AGM 2019 - The Society’s Annual General Meeting was held on the evening of 19th June. Being the 100th anniversary year the meeting was followed by a celebratory dinner held at Club Rose Bay. Just prior to the dinner there was an opportunity to capture a photograph of members in a style similar to the early members photograph … Continue reading WARS AGM 2019
- The Ferry Contest is Almost Here! - The 4th edition of the Ferry Contest will soon be here. For those intending to participate please refer to the pages on our website which outline the rules and conduct of the event (Ferry Contest 2019). Now is the time to dust off the handhelds, charge the batteries, read the rules, plan an approach and … Continue reading The Ferry Contest is Almost Here!
- Morse code interest group - If you are interested in finding out more about Morse code, Waverley club has regular get-togethers on the first Sunday of each month. The group welcomes everyone keen to find out more about morse or CW, whether you’re a beginner or want to brush up or re-learn morse code. CW enthusiasts of all skill levels … Continue reading Morse code interest group
- Ferry Contest 2018 - Once again the Ferry Contest is almost up on us. It is due next Sunday 11th March 2018 (10:00 – 16:00 )! Please consider participating even for a short period since it is definitely the more the merrier. Whilst some contesters are working very hard for the maximum points there are others who simply enjoy … Continue reading Ferry Contest 2018
- WARS ANNUAL AUCTION-8 July 2017 - Don’t miss out on the WARS Annual Auction, to be held in the Vickery Avenue Rose Bay Scout Hall on July 8th . Bring your surplus gear to sell. Buy Treasures from others. See details HERE
Created: 30/10/95 Updated: 17/02/15