100 Years in 2019
Affiliated with the Wireless Institute of Australia
The Waverley Amateur Radio Society was formed in 1919 in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney and is the oldest, continuously licensed, amateur radio club in Australia. It is a very active club and caters for the hobbies of amateur radio and electronics with a variety of activities.
We are meeting at the Rose Bay RSL each Wednesday from Noon for lunch and a discussion of future and current activities. All interested persons are welcome to any of our meetings and activities. Workshop facilities will be established soon.
Monthly meetings are being held at the Rose Bay RSL at 19:30 on the third Wednesday of each month often with an interesting lecture related to Ham Radio.
A Saturday afternoon project day meeting is held on the first Saturday of the month from 13:00 at the Rose Bay RSL. Bring your projects to progress or complete them and get help from others. Soldering is permitted, & all are welcome (BYO Tools)
Register HERE for our 3 rd of Dec 2022 Free SMD Workshop @Rose Bay RSL from 13:30
CONTESTS: We will be operating our Contest Station as VK2W in the CQ WW DX CW contest. We will compete from Robertson, NSW. The contest runs from 1100 on November 26 to 1100 on November 28. Members and any others with an interest or capability in CW are invited to participate.
NEWS: Echolink/Allstar & VKMultiNet Node is now operational. (IRLP is down)heck out usage instructions and status page: http://vk2rot.vk2bv.org
WE CONTINUE TO SHIP OUR POWERPOLE KITS:-
The club is also active on Facebook
What are the benefits of being a W.A.R.S Member?
Many thanks to Spectrum Networks for sponsoring and hosting our Website.
The Club held a successful Radio Contest event for the Trans-Tasman Contest on 16/17 July 2022. We came second in our category!
And we have lots more AWARDS
- CQ WW CW Contest 2022 - An intrepid band of CW contesters competed in the 48 hour 2022 CQ WW CW Contest over the weekend. We used the WARS contesting callsign VK2W.The contest began at 1100 (local time) on Saturday the 26th of November and went until 1100 on Monday the 28th.The previous weekend had seen some extremely strong westerly winds … Continue reading CQ WW CW Contest 2022
- Free SMD Workshop 3Dec22 - The Waverley A.R.S. is planning a workshop/project day for Saturday 3Dec22. from 13:30 at Rose Bay RSL.To RSVP Click Here The topic will be “Surface Mount Techniques for Hobbyists” andparticipants will discuss and demonstrate methods for radio amateurs touse these components and techniques. The sessions will be almostentirely “hands-on” and involve constructing small devices to learn andexplore … Continue reading Free SMD Workshop 3Dec22
- 2022 Trans Tasman contest - A crew of contesters competed in the 2022 Trans Tasman contest from the Robertson contest site. This contest was held on Saturday the 16th of July 2022.We used the WARS club’s contest callsign VK2W.We competed for the full 6 hours of the contest duration, from the start time at 1800 local time on Saturday evening, … Continue reading 2022 Trans Tasman contest
- 2022 CQ WPX RTTY - A crew of contesters competed in the 2022 CQ WPX RTTY contest from the Robertson contest site. This contest was held over the weekend of the 12th and 13th of February.We used the WARS club’s contest callsign VK2W.We competed from the contest start time of 1100 local time on Saturday morning to around 0130 on … Continue reading 2022 CQ WPX RTTY
- 2022 ARRL RTTY Roundup - On Sunday the 9th of January, VK2IBE, VK2ALR and myself, VK2WS, competed in this year’s ARRL RTTY Roundup from the Robertson contesting site.We used the Waverley club’s VK2W contesting callsign.We spent Saturday fixing up two dipoles (well, one didn’t really require fixing at all, we just needed to select the correct (mislabelled) feedline and getting … Continue reading 2022 ARRL RTTY Roundup
- Ferry Contest 2022 - This year’s Sydney Amateur Radio Ferry Contest is scheduled for Sunday March 6th – pending Covid regulations. It will be a Covid-safe event with special rules to allow for social distancing. See our Ferry Contest page for details.
- Covid Requirements - Once we have the opportunity to meet face to face again . Please be aware that it is the Rose Bay RSL policy as well as WARS policy that we are double vaccinated. The Service NSW and Medicare mobile apps have now both been updated to allow the COVID certificate to appear on the screen … Continue reading Covid Requirements
- Unified S Band Communication - Continuing on our space theme which started with the QSO from St Scholastica to the ISS. We delved a little more deeply into some of the underlying communications technology that supported the Apollo mission. And, indeed the whole of the space program from the very early days. These videos below are relatively recent and describe … Continue reading Unified S Band Communication
- WARS wins category in John moyle field day 2021 - We were a little under gunned for 2021 (or so we thought) with a significantly smaller group and without our usual “high ground” on top of the hill. We set up next to the shearing shed with three antennas on 120-degree radius about a centre point adjacent to shed. Our old genset on the opposite … Continue reading WARS wins category in John moyle field day 2021
- Audio Recording of ISS contact – 26 april 2021 - On 26 April, via technology managed by ARISS we participated in a contact with the ISS. It was a long signal chain that started with a telebridge using a mobile phone and PTT microphone that linked to VK4KHZ (Shane) as a local moderator and ON4ISS (Jan) at the reception ground-station and then RF link to … Continue reading Audio Recording of ISS contact – 26 april 2021
Created: 30/10/95 Updated: 17/02/15