100 Years in 2019
The Waverley Amateur Radio Society was formed in 1919 in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney and is the oldest, continuously licensed, amateur radio club in Australia. It is a very active club and caters for the hobbies of amateur radio and electronics with a variety of activities.
Regular meetings are held at our well-equipped clubhouse in Rose Bay and training is provided for those new to the field. Visitors to our meetings are always welcome. Please explore this site to find out more about us and ways to make contact.
The club is also active on Facebook
What are the benefits of being a W.A.R.S Member?
this special event was held at Club Rose Bay on Wed 21st August 2019 at 7:30 pm.
WARS Comes 1st in Australia in the 2019 CQ WW DX SSB Contest!
WARS wins 2018 John Moyle Field Day Category (again!)
Thanks to :VK2ALR,VK2EFL,VK2GPL,VK2HDX,VK2HHS,VK2JDH VK2KZ,VK2LJ,VK2LWB,VK2PSF,VK2RH,VK2RF,VK2VE,VK2VEL,VK2VJB.
WARS has been activating the Macquarie Light for the past 15 years during this annual event.
Team VK2BV won the AU Multi-Multi section of CQ WW-DX-SSB in 2017! Congratulations!!!!
Team VK2BV operated in the 2018 John Moyle Field Day and won it’s category AGAIN!
A special guest speaker, Ross Clements, gave a fascinating talk at the April 2018 regular Club Meeting about ” Cracking Germany’s Enigma Code in World War II”, and demonstrated his home built working replica.
Membership Renewals for 2019.
This is just a reminder that Membership renewals for 2019 were due 1st January. If you haven’t renewed yet, please do so via Paypal, direct bank transfer, cheque by post, or cash at a meeting. Annual Subs are $30 , or $20 Concessions.
Bank deposits for subscriptions and other payments can be made to Waverley Amateur Radio Society, Westpac BSB 732-051 Account Number: 71-6694. Please include details on the transfer (eg VK2ZZ subscription) and email (treasurer at vk2bv dot org) with details of your payment. Alternatively, payments can be made to firstname.lastname@example.org via Paypal, with details in the comments field.
Postal address: PO Box 634, Rose Bay NSW 2029
CQ WW SSB – 27th TO 30th October: Members of WARS were operating from the Southern Highlands.
We also received two IARU Worked All Continents Awards
- WARS Special Event: Wed 21st August 2019 7:30 pm - The Waverley Amateur Radio Society has great pleasure in hosting Kerrie Dougherty who will present: The Dish was not the whole Story: Australia’s Role in the Apollo Lunar program The Dish is a delightful Aussie film about Australia’s role in the Apollo 11 lunar landing. However, while it’s “based on a true story”, we have … Continue reading WARS Special Event: Wed 21st August 2019 7:30 pm
- WARS AGM 2019 - The Society’s Annual General Meeting was held on the evening of 19th June. Being the 100th anniversary year the meeting was followed by a celebratory dinner held at Club Rose Bay. Just prior to the dinner there was an opportunity to capture a photograph of members in a style similar to the early members photograph … Continue reading WARS AGM 2019
- The Ferry Contest is Almost Here! - The 4th edition of the Ferry Contest will soon be here. For those intending to participate please refer to the pages on our website which outline the rules and conduct of the event (Ferry Contest 2019). Now is the time to dust off the handhelds, charge the batteries, read the rules, plan an approach and … Continue reading The Ferry Contest is Almost Here!
- Morse code interest group - If you are interested in finding out more about Morse code, Waverley club has regular get-togethers on the first Sunday of each month. The group welcomes everyone keen to find out more about morse or CW, whether you’re a beginner or want to brush up or re-learn morse code. CW enthusiasts of all skill levels … Continue reading Morse code interest group
- Ferry Contest 2018 - Once again the Ferry Contest is almost up on us. It is due next Sunday 11th March 2018 (10:00 – 16:00 )! Please consider participating even for a short period since it is definitely the more the merrier. Whilst some contesters are working very hard for the maximum points there are others who simply enjoy … Continue reading Ferry Contest 2018
- WARS ANNUAL AUCTION-8 July 2017 - Don’t miss out on the WARS Annual Auction, to be held in the Vickery Avenue Rose Bay Scout Hall on July 8th . Bring your surplus gear to sell. Buy Treasures from others. See details HERE
- Notice of Annual General Meeting - Please Login to view this content. (Not a member? Join Today!)
- The Ferry Contest is almost here….. - In case nobody noticed the Ferry Contest is on this Sunday 12th March (10:00 – 16:00)! For those who are contemplating their preparation here are some ideas: Preparation Dust off the radio(s) and check their operation Charge batteries and spare batteries Program the suggested frequencies Print log sheets Study the ferry map and timetable Read … Continue reading The Ferry Contest is almost here…..
- Trans Tasman Low Band Contest 2016 - The club has been awarded 3rd place certificate for its entry to the Trans Tasman Low Band Contest in July 2016. We operated a Multi-operator / Two Transmitter entry on 160m, 80m and 40m in SSB, CW and RTTY modes. This was a first attempt at a multi-multi operation from the club site -a great … Continue reading Trans Tasman Low Band Contest 2016
- Can this box really carry 30A? - Yes it does: See here http://zedm.net/archives/39
Created: 30/10/95 Updated: 17/02/15