100 Years in 2019
Affiliated with the Wireless Institute of Australia
The Waverley Amateur Radio Society was formed in 1919 in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney and is the oldest, continuously licensed, amateur radio club in Australia. We are a very active club and caters for the hobbies of amateur radio and electronics with a variety of activities.
We meet at the Rose Bay RSL each Wednesday from Noon for lunch and a discussion of future and current activities. All interested persons are welcome to any of our meetings and activities. Basic Workshop facilities have been established .
Monthly meetings are being held at the Rose Bay RSL at 19:30 on the third Wednesday of each month often with an interesting lecture related to Ham Radio. Some members arrive at about 6pm for a delicious dinner.
Check out our Up Coming Events
A Saturday afternoon project day meeting is held on the first Saturday of the month from 13:00 at the Rose Bay RSL. Bring your projects to progress or complete them and get help from others. Soldering is permitted, & all are welcome (BYO Tools). Some members enjoy lunch first at the RSL Bistro from noon.
Waverley Amateur Radio Society members of WICEN NSW attended the VRA Rescue NSW Region 6 award ceremony on 10/12/22 where they were presented with VRA Long Service Medals and the National Emergency Medal with Bushfires 2019-20 clasp.
Unable to attend were WARS members Raffy, Ros and John. A special congratulations to Eric VK2VE for being awarded the 45 year clasp to the VRA Long Service Medal.
NEWS: Echolink/Allstar & VKMultiNet Node is now operational. (IRLP is down) check out usage instructions and status page: http://vk2rot.vk2bv.org
WE CONTINUE TO SHIP OUR POWERPOLE KITS:-
The club is also active on Facebook
What are the benefits of being a W.A.R.S Member?
Many thanks to Spectrum Networks for sponsoring and hosting our Website.
We were awarded first place in the Australian Section of the 2022 Oceania DX Phone & CW Contests in the Multi-Multi Category!
And we have lots more AWARDS
- Up Coming Events - WARS Monthly Meeting Topics@Rose Bay RSL 19:30 20 Sept 2023: Fred VK2WS- QRP Challenges18 October 2023: Antenna – Show and Tell: Balcony, Mobile, Portable, and Fox Hunt Antennas15 November 2023: Fox Hunting (presentation by Skip VK2ALR)20 December 2023: XMAS Party (organized by AL VK2OK) WARS Workshops-1st Sat of the Month@ Rose Bay RSL 13:00 2023 … Continue reading Up Coming Events
- Information Needed - Please Login to view this content. (Not a member? Join Today!)
- Build your own dipole! - On Sunday 11 June 2023, Amateur Radio NSW is having at ‘dipole buildathon’ at Dural. Members will assemble their own dipole kits together c/ kevlar antenna wire. The event will be catered for and there will be a raffle. Although some soldering stations will be supplied, members are encouraged to bring their own together with … Continue reading Build your own dipole!
- Cubical Quad Antenna 25/2/2023 - A group of antenna builders travelled to Robertson on Saturday to finish off the installation of the donated cubical quad antenna.These hams were Barrie VK2IBE, Skip VK2ALR, Stephen VK2RH, Raffy VK2RF, Bob VK2NRC and Fred VK2WS. On a previous visit to build and erect this antenna we were forced to stop work as the mating … Continue reading Cubical Quad Antenna 25/2/2023
- CQ WW CW Contest 2022 - An intrepid band of CW contesters competed in the 48 hour 2022 CQ WW CW Contest over the weekend. We used the WARS contesting callsign VK2W.The contest began at 1100 (local time) on Saturday the 26th of November and went until 1100 on Monday the 28th. The previous weekend had seen some extremely strong westerly … Continue reading CQ WW CW Contest 2022
- Free SMD Workshop 3Dec22 - The Waverley A.R.S. is planning a workshop/project day for Saturday 3Dec22. from 13:30 at Rose Bay RSL.To RSVP Click Here The topic will be “Surface Mount Techniques for Hobbyists” andparticipants will discuss and demonstrate methods for radio amateurs touse these components and techniques. The sessions will be almostentirely “hands-on” and involve constructing small devices to learn andexplore … Continue reading Free SMD Workshop 3Dec22
- 2022 Trans Tasman contest - A crew of contesters competed in the 2022 Trans Tasman contest from the Robertson contest site. This contest was held on Saturday the 16th of July 2022.We used the WARS club’s contest callsign VK2W.We competed for the full 6 hours of the contest duration, from the start time at 1800 local time on Saturday evening, … Continue reading 2022 Trans Tasman contest
- 2022 CQ WPX RTTY - A crew of contesters competed in the 2022 CQ WPX RTTY contest from the Robertson contest site. This contest was held over the weekend of the 12th and 13th of February.We used the WARS club’s contest callsign VK2W.We competed from the contest start time of 1100 local time on Saturday morning to around 0130 on … Continue reading 2022 CQ WPX RTTY
- 2022 ARRL RTTY Roundup - On Sunday the 9th of January, VK2IBE, VK2ALR and myself, VK2WS, competed in this year’s ARRL RTTY Roundup from the Robertson contesting site.We used the Waverley club’s VK2W contesting callsign.We spent Saturday fixing up two dipoles (well, one didn’t really require fixing at all, we just needed to select the correct (mislabelled) feedline and getting … Continue reading 2022 ARRL RTTY Roundup
- Ferry Contest 2022 - This year’s Sydney Amateur Radio Ferry Contest is scheduled for Sunday March 6th – pending Covid regulations. It will be a Covid-safe event with special rules to allow for social distancing. See our Ferry Contest page for details.
Created: 30/10/95 Updated: 17/02/15